Thursday, December 4, 2008

Maturity (pronounced mat-chur-it-ee)

I realized today that I have changed a lot since I first started college. I don't know if I necessarily matured or if my personality changed or what happened, but I know that I have changed. I don't think it was a bad change, but I know that it wasn't necessarily for the better, either. Looking back at just the beginning of the school year I realize that there are things that I would never do now that I did then. Maybe the change that I am seeing is that I have gained wisdom and insight to that of a college student's life.

I am still soft spoken when it comes to strangers, but now I am not afraid to talk to them after a while. I can now easily strike up a conversation and make "useless" small talk with people if necessary. I think that I am not as timid as I used to be. I am more willing to put more of myself out in return for more of others. I think, maybe, I have realized that this is my one chance in life to meet someone, make a complete fool of myself, and then never see that person again.

(okay in my case avoid the person for the rest of my life, but those are only technicalities)

I think that I like the person that I am today better than I liked the person I was, even yesterday. I think that I am more of an adult than I was just a few short months ago. I think that I have a better understanding of money, of politics, and of people.

I think this revelation couldn't have come at a better time. In the slumps of winter I have this one thing to look forward to, myself. I can only wait to see the person I will become next year. I can only wait and see how I will change from freshman to sophomore. It should be interesting to watch.

No comments: